Cumberland PA641 and Central Boulevard Intersection Improvements – Hampden Township, Cumberland County, PA
HRG turned constructability challenges into a cost-saving opportunity for PennDOT District 8-0 on this design-build project in Hampden Township.
PennDOT wished to signalize the intersection of Trindle Road and Central Boulevard, but an overpass of State Route 581 crosses the intersection at this location. The original design-build concept prepared by another firm specified the construction of standard traffic signal equipment, but our engineers believed this design would be difficult and costly to construct and maintain within the narrow roadway shoulders available. It would also put equipment in a dangerous location subject to vehicular impact.
Therefore, we worked closely with the contractor—and the District’s Traffic and Structures Units—on a creative solution: mounting the signal equipment to the overpass parapet. By mounting the equipment over the intersection instead of within the narrow shoulder, we eliminated the threat of a potential roadside hazard. This improved safety while reducing costs and did so without compromising the integrity of the overpass at all.
Our services on this project included:
- Signalizing the intersection and coordinating with the municipality to interconnect this signal to their existing traffic signal network.
- Designing and preparing specifications for mounting the signal equipment to the steel girder of the State Route 581 overpass.
- Widening Trindle Road and Central Boulevard to provide appropriate turning radii.
- Reconstructing and resurfacing the roadway.
Client / Owner
PO Box 326
Hummelstown, PA 17036
- Signalization and widening of a busy intersection under Highway 581.
- Innovative, cost-effective design-build solution to improve safety and reduce construction costs: mounting the signal equipment to the 581 overpass structure.
Contact an HRG Transportation Professional for more information on this project or related services.